Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Yellow Wallpaper- Julia Parzyck

“The Yellow Wallpaper” was a very interesting read and I really had to visual what was going on during the reading. The most interesting part of the reading was when she talked about how her husband would react to such things or the way he talked to her. He would talk to her as if she was a child and even at one point called her “little girl,” (pg. 108). I felt like the narrator longed to be this “independent” and “new woman” we had talked about in class. She often brought up going outside, or even moving around but her husband insisted she lay in bed. Even when she did writing she feared what he husband would think of her and I think that is how many women during this “New Woman” period feared. The narrator went along with everything her husband said even though you knew she felt differently, that is until she became stir crazy (literally). I think the woman she began to see in the wallpaper was this “New Woman” she had been aching for and her jealousy finally turned her crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Julia, you bring up an interesting point with the language John uses to talk to his wife in this story. He treats her almost as if she were a child, which makes me think about how little respect he had for women. This lack of respect from her husband drove the narrator mad for accectence into society. This is when you bring up the idea of the "new women", which works perfectly with this language example. Overall, you bring up this interesting idea of the language impact in the story that helps me to see the story in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reacted very similarly to the Yellow Wallpaper piece. I felt that the narrator was longing to be this independent "New Woman" that was beginning to emerge in the world. I feel that her husband was probably somewhat intimidated by her growing more intelligent, and independent and wanted to contain her. I think it is very interesting that you bring up the point of her jealousy and longing to be this "New Woman" drove her literally crazy. I never thought of it that way. I feel that any woman in her shoes would have felt the same way being cooped up in that place!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.