This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Life in the Iron Mills
Throughout Life in the Iron Mills, there was a focus on women's issues and the injustice of the labor force in the 19th century. I thought it was especially difficult to tell if the narrator was a man or woman. I was unsure if it mattered. Also, it was interesting to find out that Hugh Wolfe was the sculptor of the 'korl statue,' admired by Kirby and Doctor May. After Hugh explained that the statue symbolized a women that is hungry, displaying one of the main themes of the story, I was curious if the statue was meant to represent Deborah. I found the short story hard to understand, but was ultimately curious if the narrator was a man or woman?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.