This is a dedicated discussion space for Professor Renzi's ENG 353 course during Spring 2012. We will blog as a way to practice analytical reading and writing, as well as to continue our discussions this semester beyond the confines of our class meetings.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Pre-meditated or impulse? Allie Schwall
At the end of The Awakening the reader is left to question whether Edna's death was suicide, which seems to be answered with a yes. If so, I am left to question whether her action was long thought out before, or if it was an impulse decision. Edna struggled her whole adulthood with trying to become independent, breaking away from the traditional mother-woman role. She was granted that independence when she took it upon herself to leave her husband in search of her own identity and freedom. I think that by Robert leaving and never coming back for her, left her very hurt. In my opinion that is the main factor for Edna's sadness, which in the end could of lead to her killing herself. I do think that her suicide was thought out because of the course of unhappiness throughout the book. She seemed to be always looking for the life she wanted but was never able to find it even after she became independent. So by taking her life she was able to escape the search for the life she wanted and Awaken into a new life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really like that Edna's ending is a mystery. After our classroom discussion I have no idea if she dies or lives/ if it was suicide or not. I think Chopin did this intentionally to get the reader thinking. Since Edna isn't the easiest to read during the story, why would it be easy at the end of the book? I know she felt disconnected and had nothing to live for so I felt that it was a suicide, yet I don't think I will never quite decide for a matter of fact.
ReplyDelete