While reading through "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin, I found many attributes to be not only interesting, but also thought-provoking. Throughout the course of the book through Chapter 22, there are countless comments, actions, and undertones that display the radical lifestyle change of Edna. Though she was never the maternal type, she could not measure up to the standards of her husband. As she seeks some sort of satisfaction, Edna finds out the staggering truth...she doesn't belong in the life that she is currently in. Here is where I question her choices. Edna chooses to pursue painting, thereby foregoing the responsibilities that she must attend to at home. This may appear to be the fleshing of the "New Woman", but it also devulges upon the idea of her failing as a mother. In choosing to pursue painting and foregoing what needs to be done, Edna is becoming selfish. Regardless of personal thoughts, children need care, attention, and to know that they are not ignored. This is not saying that children must run the show, but it is emphasizing the point of their importance on society. So in truth, I would gladly say that Edna falls into the notion of the "bad" mother. Though I do not think this was her intention by any means, she fails to understand the detrimental effects that are being placed upon her children. Had she found a balance between motherhood and her independent ways, she could carry on with life, and not find herself apart of the category of the "Neglectful Mother." In the end, her husband notices the changes in her personality and asks for guidance. Maybe Edna's attempt at independence is not only changing her life, but hurting the hearts and lives of her family.
I have to agree with this post. While reading, I was continuously questioning Edna's role as a mother but figured I was simply over analyzing. It wasn't until I came across this quote:
ReplyDelete"I would give up the unessential;I would give my money, I would give my life for my children; but I wouldn't give myself. I can't make it more clear; it's only something which I am beginning to comprehend, which is revealing itself to me" (pg 46). It's hard to believe that there is actually something she wouldn't give up for her children regardless of her seeking her independence.
-Lauren R
I agree with both of you. I think that Edna does fall into that category, and that is certainly not an admirable thing no matter the circumstances. However, I believe that bad mothers exist more prevalently than good mothers if we are defining a good mother as someone who completely abandons themselves in their devotion to their children. I don't think we should condemn Edna, albeit her actions are selfish and short-sighted, but regard her as a symbol of every woman's conflicts between what is expected and what is experienced.
ReplyDelete